Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas traditions


I can't believe there are only 6 more days until Christmas because I STILL have some shopping to do. I'm not done with hubby's yet, and there are a couple of little last minute things I need to pick up.
Yesterday, I submitted a recipe to our favorite radio station, WAFJ. They are doing a recipe "swap" on their morning page. I submitted my husband's family recipe for Flitch, or "potato candy." The DJ, John Bryant, E-mailed me and asked if he could call and talk about it while taping to get it on air. So if you were listening around 6:23 this morning, you heard the interview. It was fun! Ed is gone now, delivering a batch to the DJ's.
The flitch got me thinking about all of our Christmas traditions. Here are a few of ours.
  • Put up the Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving

  • Visit a live nativity

  • Buy a new ornament for the kids (which they will take with them as adults), and one for Ed and me.

  • Make flitch

  • Send Christmas cards with photos and a letter

  • Place the smaller nativity scene on the coffee table in the living room and the large one in the front yard

  • Open presents that are not from Santa on Christmas Eve

  • Attend Christmas Eve service at church

  • On Christmas morning, open presents from Santa, eat breakfast, and head to my parents' house, where we eat lunch and open more presents

  • Host our "Life Group's" Christmas party

  • Host our church's scrapbooking Christmas Crop

  • Leave milk and cookies for Santa

Usually, I attend the ladies' ornament party at church, but this year, Jonathan's band concert was the same night. And usually, we bake and decorate sugar cookies, but this year, we'll probably not do that, since none of us need the extra calories....not even Santa! I think it's okay to skip some traditions and add a new one or two once in a while. It keeps things fresh and interesting! Well, I'm off to get ready for another busy day. After some shopping, we are attending the Mark Harris Family Christmas concert tonight. Should be a lot of fun! Hope you all have a Christ filled, blessed weekend!

Oh..and the tree doodles at the top are by Stephanie at Homegrown Hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment