Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chili for a chilly day

Oh man...we had a great supper tonight. We woke up this morning to our first frost of the season, and it only got up to 58 today with lots of wind. So I thought it would be a great day to cook up some warm chili! If you have seen the cookbook from Stevens Creek Church, the chili recipe is in there, but I'll give it to you here too, as well as the awesome Pecan Cornbread I made to go with it. They were pretty quick and easy to make. Let me know if you try it.

Salsa Chili

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 5.5 oz can of V-8 or tomato juice (I prefer the V-8 juice)
1 can of pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained (whichever type you prefer)
1 regular size jar of salsa (any kind...not the huge jars)

Brown the beef and onion together. Drain excess fat. Stir in the V-8 juice, the beans, and salsa. Simmer until warmed through. Excellent served with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream on top.


Pecan Cornbread (man this was good!)

1 can cream style corn
2 eggs
2 packages of corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1 /3 cup chopped pecans

Whisk the 2 eggs together with the corn in a large bowl. Then stir in the corn muffin mix and pecans. Stir until well blended. Pour into a 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Bake at 400 for 16-18 minutes or until light golden brown. (If you cook too long it will be dry.)

2 comments:

  1. Some day, when my kids' tastes are adjusted, I'll be trying this chili - I was never so happy to get that cookbook! And for the record, your temps are the same as MINE...so I'm not gonna complain....but we had below 30 this a.m....think it was 23!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that sounds delicious! I think I'll try it...I'll let you know how we like it.

    ReplyDelete